Saturn. The ring looks cool.
Artist, producer and songwriter Strama has absorbed a diverse blend of influences, culminating in a dreamy soulful sound in Alternative RnB/Pop. The London based musician grew up listening to her parent's Jazz, Motown, Classical and Cinematic record collection meanwhile training as a classical pianist. Strama is Italian-Romanian but was raised in The Netherlands, connecting her to multiple cultures and sounds.
Her music has gathered support from Spotify's 'New Music Friday' (both UK and The Netherlands) & 'Next Wave Neo Soul', COLORSxSTUDIOS, Stereofox, The Pit London, Atwood Magazine, Notion, Luna Collective, BBC Asian Network, Wordplay, She Makes Music, as well as BBC Introducing, Sofar Sounds and more.
1. Where did your artist name come from? It’s from my actual name, but with the syllables switched around - so the first half ‘Stra’ is the beginning of my surname and ‘ma’ is part of my forename. It was also my school computer login haha, and nickname when I was younger.
2. How long have you been making music? I’ve been songwriting and playing piano since I was 11 and producing music for the last couple years.
3. What is the first thing people notice about you? I think I’m quite a calm person, so hopefully that comes across to people when they meet me!
4. What was the inspiration behind your recent release? The song came all together really easily, written through a stream of consciousness, it was kind of an accident haha. But the song’s free-spirited feeling was inspired by the TV show Euphoria and basically saying we all have good and ugly sides to each other. I was also listening to a lot of Shenie Fogo, The Weekend and RIMON.
5. What three words would your friends use to describe you as? Affectionate, silly and bubbly
6. Out of all the songs you have released, which is your favourite? And why?
I think ‘I Know You Know’. I love the drama and the emotional journey it takes you on, expressing passion and going big.
7. If you could travel to one planet, which one would you go to? Saturn. The ring looks cool.
8. What’s life like for you outside of music?
I’m a low key good cook haha. I love spending quality time with people I care about.
9. Do you have any up and coming projects you are working on? My debut EP ‘Silver Lining’ is out TODAY (8th of June) and my EP launch show is happened yesterday, June 7th at Paper Dress Vintage in Hackney.
10. What is the most memorable moment in your career so far?
I think looking back at how much I’ve improved over time. I never really think about it but when you do it feels like a huge proud moment.